Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Right Reverend George Minshull Sessford
EXTERNAL ID
PC_STAND_CATH_032
SOURCE
Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness
ASSET ID
30028
KEYWORDS
clergy
clergymen
bishops
portraits
The Right Reverend George Minshull Sessford

Bishop George Minshull Sessford was born in 1928 in Aintree and attended school in Liverpool. However after National Service with the Royal Army Service Corps in Egypt he attended St Andrews University. After training at Lincoln Theological College he became a deacon in 1953 and a priest a year later. He was curate in charge of the Scottish Episcopal Church in Cumbernauld from 1958 to 1966, as well as, for part of the time, a lecturer at Jordanhill Teacher Training College.

He moved to be Rector at Forres in 1966, becoming Bishop of the Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness in 1970, on the death of Bishop Macinnes. In 1993, at the time of controversy surrounding the ordination of women to the priesthood, a matter over which he was very unhappy, he retired to live in Wester Ross. He did not enjoy a long retirement to pursue his abiding interests in sailing, the breeding of donkeys, and the restoring of old motor cars and motor bikes. He died in 1996 after a period of ill health.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Right Reverend George Minshull Sessford

clergy; clergymen; bishops; portraits

Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

Bishop George Minshull Sessford was born in 1928 in Aintree and attended school in Liverpool. However after National Service with the Royal Army Service Corps in Egypt he attended St Andrews University. After training at Lincoln Theological College he became a deacon in 1953 and a priest a year later. He was curate in charge of the Scottish Episcopal Church in Cumbernauld from 1958 to 1966, as well as, for part of the time, a lecturer at Jordanhill Teacher Training College.<br /> <br /> He moved to be Rector at Forres in 1966, becoming Bishop of the Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness in 1970, on the death of Bishop Macinnes. In 1993, at the time of controversy surrounding the ordination of women to the priesthood, a matter over which he was very unhappy, he retired to live in Wester Ross. He did not enjoy a long retirement to pursue his abiding interests in sailing, the breeding of donkeys, and the restoring of old motor cars and motor bikes. He died in 1996 after a period of ill health.