Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bishop Andrew Macfarlane
EXTERNAL ID
PC_STAND_CATH_038
SOURCE
Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness
ASSET ID
30034
KEYWORDS
clergy
clergymen
bishops
portraits
Bishop Andrew Macfarlane

Andrew Macfarlane was born in Edinburgh in 1743 of the family of Gartanlaw (Morayshire). He was educated for the Church at Meiklefolla, near Fyvie. After serving the Scottish Episcopal Church in various parishes in Morayshire, he became the incumbent at Inverness and Dingwall, as well as Strathnairn in 1779, serving in Inverness until his death in 1819.

Hand-written on the back of the picture frame it says: "This is a photograph of a silhouette of Bishop Macfarlane belonging to Mrs Magdalene Duff Wilson, daughter of Colonel Macfarlane (who married Miss Inglis of Kingsmills, and died in India) and granddaughter of the Bishop. Presented to the Bishop of Moray August 17, 1911.

Macfarlane was a good Gaelic and Hebrew scholar, and a great letter-writer. He first became co-adjutor Bishop of Moray, and then Bishop of Moray and Ross almost immediately thereafter. He gave up the Moray part of the Diocese in 1798 in favour of Alexander Jolly (see other picture). During his time as Bishop, Macfarlane consecrated six new chapels for the Scottish Episcopal Church, including a new church (St. John's) in Inverness, built in 1801 near the northern end of Church Street. He managed to have an organ installed in the church.

Macfarlane married Magdalene Duff, fourth daughter of William Duff of Muirtown. They had three children, one of whom married Rev. Charles Fyvie, the incumbent who replaced Macfarlane at St John's Church, in 1819. Fyvie was to become Dean of the Diocese of Moray and Ross in 1839.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bishop Andrew Macfarlane

clergy; clergymen; bishops; portraits

Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

Andrew Macfarlane was born in Edinburgh in 1743 of the family of Gartanlaw (Morayshire). He was educated for the Church at Meiklefolla, near Fyvie. After serving the Scottish Episcopal Church in various parishes in Morayshire, he became the incumbent at Inverness and Dingwall, as well as Strathnairn in 1779, serving in Inverness until his death in 1819.<br /> <br /> Hand-written on the back of the picture frame it says: "This is a photograph of a silhouette of Bishop Macfarlane belonging to Mrs Magdalene Duff Wilson, daughter of Colonel Macfarlane (who married Miss Inglis of Kingsmills, and died in India) and granddaughter of the Bishop. Presented to the Bishop of Moray August 17, 1911.<br /> <br /> Macfarlane was a good Gaelic and Hebrew scholar, and a great letter-writer. He first became co-adjutor Bishop of Moray, and then Bishop of Moray and Ross almost immediately thereafter. He gave up the Moray part of the Diocese in 1798 in favour of Alexander Jolly (see other picture). During his time as Bishop, Macfarlane consecrated six new chapels for the Scottish Episcopal Church, including a new church (St. John's) in Inverness, built in 1801 near the northern end of Church Street. He managed to have an organ installed in the church.<br /> <br /> Macfarlane married Magdalene Duff, fourth daughter of William Duff of Muirtown. They had three children, one of whom married Rev. Charles Fyvie, the incumbent who replaced Macfarlane at St John's Church, in 1819. Fyvie was to become Dean of the Diocese of Moray and Ross in 1839.