Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Very Reverend James Henry Leslie Pennell
EXTERNAL ID
PC_STAND_CATH_039
SOURCE
St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness
ASSET ID
30035
KEYWORDS
clergy
clergymen
portraits
The Very Reverend James Henry Leslie Pennell

Born in 1906 in Edinburgh, Leslie Pennell was educated at Edinburgh Academy, and Edinburgh University and Theological College. He was ordained in St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness, in 1929, where he served as Precentor for three years.

In 1932 he was appointed to St Mary's Scottish Episcopal Church, Dunblane, and was also Chaplain to the Queen Victoria School there. He joined the Territorial Army in 1935, attached to the Highland Division. At the outbreak of War he served with the British Expeditionary Force in France, before spending four years in India. At the close of the War, he was Deputy Assistant Chaplain General to the 14th Army. He was awarded the Territorial Decoration with Bar in 1950.

Pennell returned to Inverness as Provost of St Andrew's Cathedral in 1949, and he also served as Chaplain to the Cameron Barracks at Raigmore and the local Burma Star Association. He instituted the daily celebration of the Eucharist in the Cathedral, and oversaw major repairs to the fabric in the early 1960s. His interest in drama led to the creation of the Cathedral Players, and the performance of Nativity plays.

Although he remained an Honorary Canon of St Andrew's Cathedral, on leaving Inverness in late 1965 he became a Rector in Essex. He served here until his retirement in 1972. A short move took him to Suffolk, where he died in 1996, a day before his 90th birthday.

He took a great interest in the Boy Scout Movement (as it was then known), serving as a Scoutmaster both in Dunblane and with the Cathedral Troop in Inverness. For a time he was also a Scout District Commissioner in Perthshire.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Very Reverend James Henry Leslie Pennell

clergy; clergymen; portraits

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness

Born in 1906 in Edinburgh, Leslie Pennell was educated at Edinburgh Academy, and Edinburgh University and Theological College. He was ordained in St Andrew's Cathedral, Inverness, in 1929, where he served as Precentor for three years.<br /> <br /> In 1932 he was appointed to St Mary's Scottish Episcopal Church, Dunblane, and was also Chaplain to the Queen Victoria School there. He joined the Territorial Army in 1935, attached to the Highland Division. At the outbreak of War he served with the British Expeditionary Force in France, before spending four years in India. At the close of the War, he was Deputy Assistant Chaplain General to the 14th Army. He was awarded the Territorial Decoration with Bar in 1950.<br /> <br /> Pennell returned to Inverness as Provost of St Andrew's Cathedral in 1949, and he also served as Chaplain to the Cameron Barracks at Raigmore and the local Burma Star Association. He instituted the daily celebration of the Eucharist in the Cathedral, and oversaw major repairs to the fabric in the early 1960s. His interest in drama led to the creation of the Cathedral Players, and the performance of Nativity plays.<br /> <br /> Although he remained an Honorary Canon of St Andrew's Cathedral, on leaving Inverness in late 1965 he became a Rector in Essex. He served here until his retirement in 1972. A short move took him to Suffolk, where he died in 1996, a day before his 90th birthday.<br /> <br /> He took a great interest in the Boy Scout Movement (as it was then known), serving as a Scoutmaster both in Dunblane and with the Cathedral Troop in Inverness. For a time he was also a Scout District Commissioner in Perthshire.