Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Right Reverend David Low
EXTERNAL ID
PC_STAND_CATH_047
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Argyll and the Isles.
ASSET ID
30043
KEYWORDS
clergy
clergymen
bishops
portraits
The Right Reverend David Low

Bishop David Low was a Bishop of the Scottish Episcopal Church in the 19th century. Following the Jacobite risings the Scottish Episcopal Church was put under severe restrictions, but support remained for it in many parts of the Highlands. The Penal Laws which restricted Episcopal Church activities were repealed in 1792, and by the mid-19th century the church was growing.

Low was born in 1768, son of a Brechin merchant. He attended Marischal College, Aberdeen, to become a schoolmaster at Menmuir for about a year. He then read theology with Bishop Gleig, while acting as a tutor to the Patullo family at Balhousie. He became an incumbent priest, first at Perth and then at Pittenweem in Fife. His first appointment was as Bishop of the Diocese of Ross and Argyll in 1819, following the death of Bishop Macfarlane; following the death of Bishop Jolly, he became Bishop of Moray, Ross and Argyll in 1838, and of Moray and Ross from 1846, until his retiral in 1850. However his home remained at Pittenweem.

In 1831 he was a prime mover in forming the Gaelic Episcopal Society for training Gaelic-speaking clergy. In 1846, at the time of his giving up the Diocese of Argyll, he endowed the Diocese with the sum of £8000. He died in January 1855 in Pittenweem, where he was buried.

This illustration is from a photograph of the original painting held in the Diocese of Argyll in Oban.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Right Reverend David Low

clergy; clergymen; bishops; portraits

Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Argyll and the Isles.

Scottish Episcopal Church, Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness

Bishop David Low was a Bishop of the Scottish Episcopal Church in the 19th century. Following the Jacobite risings the Scottish Episcopal Church was put under severe restrictions, but support remained for it in many parts of the Highlands. The Penal Laws which restricted Episcopal Church activities were repealed in 1792, and by the mid-19th century the church was growing.<br /> <br /> Low was born in 1768, son of a Brechin merchant. He attended Marischal College, Aberdeen, to become a schoolmaster at Menmuir for about a year. He then read theology with Bishop Gleig, while acting as a tutor to the Patullo family at Balhousie. He became an incumbent priest, first at Perth and then at Pittenweem in Fife. His first appointment was as Bishop of the Diocese of Ross and Argyll in 1819, following the death of Bishop Macfarlane; following the death of Bishop Jolly, he became Bishop of Moray, Ross and Argyll in 1838, and of Moray and Ross from 1846, until his retiral in 1850. However his home remained at Pittenweem.<br /> <br /> In 1831 he was a prime mover in forming the Gaelic Episcopal Society for training Gaelic-speaking clergy. In 1846, at the time of his giving up the Diocese of Argyll, he endowed the Diocese with the sum of £8000. He died in January 1855 in Pittenweem, where he was buried.<br /> <br /> This illustration is from a photograph of the original painting held in the Diocese of Argyll in Oban.