Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cromarty Harbour
EXTERNAL ID
PC_TAYLOR_BLACKISLE_JAN157
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
2009
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
30065
KEYWORDS
harbours
Cromarty Harbour

Cromarty Harbour was built between 1781 and 1784 when the original stone jetty was extended and a new pier and breakwater added. It was paid for by George Ross of Pitkerie who bought Cromarty Estate and redeveloped the town. Cromarty had already been a flourishing port in the early eighteenth century, trading with Norway, Sweden and Holland as well as England. Timber, iron, gin and coal were imported and grain and salted fish exported.

In the nineteenth century emigrants used the harbour to set sail for Canada, North America and Australia. In 1912, the Cromarty Firth became a naval base and the harbour was once again much in use. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction, repair and mothballing of North Sea oil rigs

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cromarty Harbour

ROSS: Cromarty

2000s

harbours

Andrew Taylor

Cromarty Harbour was built between 1781 and 1784 when the original stone jetty was extended and a new pier and breakwater added. It was paid for by George Ross of Pitkerie who bought Cromarty Estate and redeveloped the town. Cromarty had already been a flourishing port in the early eighteenth century, trading with Norway, Sweden and Holland as well as England. Timber, iron, gin and coal were imported and grain and salted fish exported. <br /> <br /> In the nineteenth century emigrants used the harbour to set sail for Canada, North America and Australia. In 1912, the Cromarty Firth became a naval base and the harbour was once again much in use. More recently the Cromarty Firth has been used for the construction, repair and mothballing of North Sea oil rigs