Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunrobin Castle, Golspie
EXTERNAL ID
PC_TAYLOR_JUNE_JULY07_012
PLACENAME
Dunrobin Castle
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Golspie
DATE OF IMAGE
24 June 2007
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
30097
KEYWORDS
castle
Golspie
Sutherland
duke
Highland Clearances
Dunrobin Castle, Golspie

Dunrobin Castle is the most northerly of Scotland's great castles and is located on the Sutherland Coast, a mile north of the town of Golspie. The castle is the traditional seat of the Dukes and Earls of Sutherland, the heads of Clan Sutherland, and its architecture has drawn significant influence from French designs. During the Highland Clearances, the Duke and Duchess of Sutherland were responsible for clearing hundreds of tenants from their land. The original keep is thought to have been built in 1401, but the castle has been renovated several times since then. In 1845, Dunrobin gained much of its current appearance when it was extensively remodelled by Sir Charles Barry, the architect who famously designed the Houses of Parliament. More recently, in 1904 and 1921, it was renovated by the Scottish architect, Sir Robert Lorimer. Some of aspects of the earlier keep are still visible, encased inside the present construction.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunrobin Castle, Golspie

SUTHERLAND: Golspie

2000s

castle; Golspie; Sutherland; duke; Highland Clearances

Andrew Taylor

Dunrobin Castle is the most northerly of Scotland's great castles and is located on the Sutherland Coast, a mile north of the town of Golspie. The castle is the traditional seat of the Dukes and Earls of Sutherland, the heads of Clan Sutherland, and its architecture has drawn significant influence from French designs. During the Highland Clearances, the Duke and Duchess of Sutherland were responsible for clearing hundreds of tenants from their land. The original keep is thought to have been built in 1401, but the castle has been renovated several times since then. In 1845, Dunrobin gained much of its current appearance when it was extensively remodelled by Sir Charles Barry, the architect who famously designed the Houses of Parliament. More recently, in 1904 and 1921, it was renovated by the Scottish architect, Sir Robert Lorimer. Some of aspects of the earlier keep are still visible, encased inside the present construction.