Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Eilean Donan Castle, Loch Duich
EXTERNAL ID
PC_TAYLOR_JUNE_JULY07_027
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
15 July 2007
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
30099
KEYWORDS
castle
lords of the isles
Eilean Donan Castle, Loch Duich

Eilean Donan, which translates as 'the island of Donan,' is thought to have been named after Bishop Donan, an Irish Saint who arrived in Scotland in 580 AD. The first fortified structure was constructed on the island in the thirteenth century, when the area still rested under the power of the Lordship of the Isles. This castle was built on a position of strategic importance to counter the Vikings, whose raids and incursions were still a potent threat in the north of Scotland. Over the years, the castle expanded and contracted in size. It was garrisoned by Jacobite supporters during their rebellions in the eighteenth century in favour of the House of Stewart, and this action led to the castles destruction. Eilean Donan Castle lay in ruins for almost 200 years until Lt Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap bought the island in 1911 and dedicated the next 20 years of his life to restoring the castle. It was completed in 1932.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Eilean Donan Castle, Loch Duich

ROSS: Lochalsh

2000s

castle; lords of the isles

Andrew Taylor

Eilean Donan, which translates as 'the island of Donan,' is thought to have been named after Bishop Donan, an Irish Saint who arrived in Scotland in 580 AD. The first fortified structure was constructed on the island in the thirteenth century, when the area still rested under the power of the Lordship of the Isles. This castle was built on a position of strategic importance to counter the Vikings, whose raids and incursions were still a potent threat in the north of Scotland. Over the years, the castle expanded and contracted in size. It was garrisoned by Jacobite supporters during their rebellions in the eighteenth century in favour of the House of Stewart, and this action led to the castles destruction. Eilean Donan Castle lay in ruins for almost 200 years until Lt Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap bought the island in 1911 and dedicated the next 20 years of his life to restoring the castle. It was completed in 1932.