Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PC_UNKNOWN_004
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s; 1930s
CREATOR
Am Baile
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
30164
KEYWORDS
grocers
wine merchants
Overgait
Doomsdale
Castle Street, Inverness

This photograph shows cars and pedestrians on Castle Street in Inverness. On the far right of the photograph, at 18-20 Castle Street, are the premises of MacTavish the Ironmongers. To the left of this, at number 22 , is the grocer and wine merchant, John MacKenzie.

Castle Street has previously been known as Overgait and Doomsdale, the current name coming into use after 1675. One of the original three streets in Inverness, excavations carried out during the 1980s found evidence of human habitation at the lower end of Castle Street, as far back as 7000 BC. However, there is no evidence to suggest that this habitation has been continuous. Although much of the street was rebuilt in the 1930s, some of its 18th century houses still remain

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s; 1930s

grocers; wine merchants; Overgait; Doomsdale

Am Baile

This photograph shows cars and pedestrians on Castle Street in Inverness. On the far right of the photograph, at 18-20 Castle Street, are the premises of MacTavish the Ironmongers. To the left of this, at number 22 , is the grocer and wine merchant, John MacKenzie.<br /> <br /> Castle Street has previously been known as Overgait and Doomsdale, the current name coming into use after 1675. One of the original three streets in Inverness, excavations carried out during the 1980s found evidence of human habitation at the lower end of Castle Street, as far back as 7000 BC. However, there is no evidence to suggest that this habitation has been continuous. Although much of the street was rebuilt in the 1930s, some of its 18th century houses still remain