Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inglis Street
EXTERNAL ID
PC_UNKNOWN_010
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
ASSET ID
30167
KEYWORDS
tailors
tobacconists
wine merchants
bookshops
newsagents
hotels
garages
provosts
Martinmas Market
Martinmas Fair
Cheese Market
Inglis Street

This photograph shows a view of Inglis Street in Inverness. On the left side of the street are the premises of Pullars of Perth the dry cleaners, Campbell the Ladies and Gents Tailor, a tobacconist shop and a wine merchants. On the right side of the street are the premises of Alexanders the bookshop and newsagent. At the top, Inglis Street meets High Street. The photograph shows the Station Hotel, built in 1854 and MacRae and Dicks garage.

Inglis Street, named after Provost William Inglis, used to be the crowded link between the town's meal market and the cattle market. The street, along with Academy Street and Eastgate, was also the site of the town's annual Martinmas Market, held in November. This was more commonly called 'The Cheese Market' as locally made cheese and butter were sold at this annual fair

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inglis Street

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

tailors; tobacconists; wine merchants; bookshops; newsagents; hotels; garages; provosts; Martinmas Market; Martinmas Fair; Cheese Market

This photograph shows a view of Inglis Street in Inverness. On the left side of the street are the premises of Pullars of Perth the dry cleaners, Campbell the Ladies and Gents Tailor, a tobacconist shop and a wine merchants. On the right side of the street are the premises of Alexanders the bookshop and newsagent. At the top, Inglis Street meets High Street. The photograph shows the Station Hotel, built in 1854 and MacRae and Dicks garage.<br /> <br /> Inglis Street, named after Provost William Inglis, used to be the crowded link between the town's meal market and the cattle market. The street, along with Academy Street and Eastgate, was also the site of the town's annual Martinmas Market, held in November. This was more commonly called 'The Cheese Market' as locally made cheese and butter were sold at this annual fair