Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Caves at Sand of Udrigle, near Laide, Wester Ross
EXTERNAL ID
PC_WDOWNIE_016
PLACENAME
Laide
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
DATE OF IMAGE
1982
PERIOD
1980s
SOURCE
W Downie
ASSET ID
30193
KEYWORDS
The Disruption
Caves at Sand of Udrigle, near Laide, Wester Ross

Laide is a small settlement on the south side of Gruinard Bay, an inlet of the sea, in Wester Ross. It is situated at the junction of the road which climbs up steep Cabeg Hill and the single track road to the remote crofting townships of Mellon Udrigle and Opinan, where the road ends.

Two caves on the shore at Sand of Udrigle, near Laide, also known as the Polachar Caves, have been used in the past as places of refuge and religious worship. In the larger cave, the Free Church of Scotland held services from 1843 until the end of the 19th century. The last christening there took place in 1877 under the Reverend John R. Mackay. The smaller cave was used as a place of shelter for the widow Isabella MacKenzie of Gunn from Drumchork who lived there for several years with her daughter or granddaughter. In 1862 a court order was issued to evict Isabella from the cave but in the 1871 census she is still shown as a pauper living at Sand. By the time of the 1881 census she had moved to Achgarve

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Caves at Sand of Udrigle, near Laide, Wester Ross

ROSS: Gairloch

1980s

The Disruption

W Downie

Laide is a small settlement on the south side of Gruinard Bay, an inlet of the sea, in Wester Ross. It is situated at the junction of the road which climbs up steep Cabeg Hill and the single track road to the remote crofting townships of Mellon Udrigle and Opinan, where the road ends. <br /> <br /> Two caves on the shore at Sand of Udrigle, near Laide, also known as the Polachar Caves, have been used in the past as places of refuge and religious worship. In the larger cave, the Free Church of Scotland held services from 1843 until the end of the 19th century. The last christening there took place in 1877 under the Reverend John R. Mackay. The smaller cave was used as a place of shelter for the widow Isabella MacKenzie of Gunn from Drumchork who lived there for several years with her daughter or granddaughter. In 1862 a court order was issued to evict Isabella from the cave but in the 1871 census she is still shown as a pauper living at Sand. By the time of the 1881 census she had moved to Achgarve