Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Memorial to Donald MacLeod, Rosal, Strathnaver (plaque)
EXTERNAL ID
PC_WDOWNIE_021
PLACENAME
Rosal
DISTRICT
Tongue and Farr
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Farr
DATE OF IMAGE
2000
PERIOD
2000s
SOURCE
W Downie
ASSET ID
30198
KEYWORDS
Clearances
Duke of Sutherland
Memorial to Donald MacLeod, Rosal, Strathnaver (plaque)

Donald Macleod was born in the late 18th century in the settlement of Rosal, Strathnaver. He lived there until the township was cleared in 1814 by the Sutherland family to make way for sheep farming. A stonemason to trade, Donald was twice more evicted before eventually settling in Edinburgh where he published letters in the 'Weekly Chronicle', bringing attention to the Sutherland estate management. He emigrated in the 1850s to Ontario, Canada and published his first-hand account of clearance in 1856 - 'Gloomy Memories'.

Excavations at Rosal in the 1960s revealed arable lands extending over 60 acres, enclosed by a dry-stone dyke. Seventy structures were recognised including long-houses, barns, outhouses, stackyards and corn-drying kilns

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Memorial to Donald MacLeod, Rosal, Strathnaver (plaque)

SUTHERLAND: Farr

2000s

Clearances; Duke of Sutherland

W Downie

Donald Macleod was born in the late 18th century in the settlement of Rosal, Strathnaver. He lived there until the township was cleared in 1814 by the Sutherland family to make way for sheep farming. A stonemason to trade, Donald was twice more evicted before eventually settling in Edinburgh where he published letters in the 'Weekly Chronicle', bringing attention to the Sutherland estate management. He emigrated in the 1850s to Ontario, Canada and published his first-hand account of clearance in 1856 - 'Gloomy Memories'.<br /> <br /> Excavations at Rosal in the 1960s revealed arable lands extending over 60 acres, enclosed by a dry-stone dyke. Seventy structures were recognised including long-houses, barns, outhouses, stackyards and corn-drying kilns