Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunrobin Castle and grounds
EXTERNAL ID
PC_WGORDON3_008_001
PLACENAME
Dunrobin Castle
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Golspie
SOURCE
W Gordon
ASSET ID
30314
KEYWORDS
castles
castle grounds
castle gardens
Dukes of Sutherland
Sir Charles Barry
William Leslie
Sir Robert Lorimer
estates
postcards
Dunrobin Castle and grounds

This postcard shows Dunrobin Castle and its grounds. Dunrobin has been the principal seat of the Dukes of Sutherland since the 12th century. The castle originally consisted of a keep (dating from 1401) and a large 17th-century house based around a central courtyard but very little of these earlier structures still survives. The impressive exterior (similar in style to a French chateau) dates mainly from the mid-19th century. The architects were Sir Charles Barry and William Leslie.

A fire in 1915 destroyed much of Barry's interior and the leading Scottish architect, Sir Robert Lorimer, was commissioned to redesign many rooms including the dining room, the drawing room and library. A museum was created in the former summer house in 1878. It contains many Pictish stones and game trophies .

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunrobin Castle and grounds

SUTHERLAND: Golspie

castles; castle grounds; castle gardens; Dukes of Sutherland; Sir Charles Barry; William Leslie; Sir Robert Lorimer; estates; postcards

W Gordon

Winnie Gordon (photographs)

This postcard shows Dunrobin Castle and its grounds. Dunrobin has been the principal seat of the Dukes of Sutherland since the 12th century. The castle originally consisted of a keep (dating from 1401) and a large 17th-century house based around a central courtyard but very little of these earlier structures still survives. The impressive exterior (similar in style to a French chateau) dates mainly from the mid-19th century. The architects were Sir Charles Barry and William Leslie. <br /> <br /> A fire in 1915 destroyed much of Barry's interior and the leading Scottish architect, Sir Robert Lorimer, was commissioned to redesign many rooms including the dining room, the drawing room and library. A museum was created in the former summer house in 1878. It contains many Pictish stones and game trophies .