Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Annie Campbell at Oldshoremore
EXTERNAL ID
PC_WMORRISON_043
PLACENAME
Kinlochbervie
DISTRICT
Eddrachillis and Durness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Eddrachillis
SOURCE
Willie Morrison
ASSET ID
30531
KEYWORDS
crofters
townships
crofts
Annie Campbell at Oldshoremore

This photograph is possibly of Annie Campbell (nee Corbett) at Oldshoremore, together with two small boys. Annie married at Oldshoremore, a crofting township two miles northwest of Kinlochbervie on the Sutherland coast. Her son still lives in the family home.

Kinlochbervie can be found on the west coast of Sutherland on the north side of Loch Inchard close to Rhiconich. Originally crofting was an important employment in the area but in the 1940s Kinlochbervie grew as a fishing port. East coast fishing boats were forced by fish numbers to fish further west and many boats landed their catch at Kinlochbervie. Today the village is one of Scotland's main ports for landing fish. The oldest public building in the village is the 'Parliamentary' church built by Thomas Telford in 1829.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Annie Campbell at Oldshoremore

SUTHERLAND: Eddrachillis

crofters; townships; crofts

Willie Morrison

Willie Morrison Archive

This photograph is possibly of Annie Campbell (nee Corbett) at Oldshoremore, together with two small boys. Annie married at Oldshoremore, a crofting township two miles northwest of Kinlochbervie on the Sutherland coast. Her son still lives in the family home. <br /> <br /> Kinlochbervie can be found on the west coast of Sutherland on the north side of Loch Inchard close to Rhiconich. Originally crofting was an important employment in the area but in the 1940s Kinlochbervie grew as a fishing port. East coast fishing boats were forced by fish numbers to fish further west and many boats landed their catch at Kinlochbervie. Today the village is one of Scotland's main ports for landing fish. The oldest public building in the village is the 'Parliamentary' church built by Thomas Telford in 1829.