Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Golfers at Machrihanish Golf Club, once known as Kintyre Golf Club
EXTERNAL ID
QZP27_58_41_18
PLACENAME
Machrihanish
DISTRICT
Kintyre
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Campbeltown
PERIOD
1890s; 1900s; 1910s
CREATOR
Charles & Dennis MacGrory
SOURCE
Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service
ASSET ID
30618
KEYWORDS
golf
recreation
sport
Kintyre Golf Club
Machrihanish Golf Club
Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway
Golfers at Machrihanish Golf Club, once known as Kintyre Golf Club

Golfers at Machrihanish Golf Club, once known as Kintyre Golf Club. Machrihanish developed as a tourist spot even before the Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway was constructed, in 1905. The golf club, established in 1876, initially had ten holes set into its dunes, but this was later extended to 14. In 1888, the club's name was changed to Machrihanish Golf Club, due to the general consensus that its original name was not inspiring enough for such a beautiful course. In 1909, the golf club hosted the Scottish Ladies Golf Championship


This image is available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Golfers at Machrihanish Golf Club, once known as Kintyre Golf Club

ARGYLL: Campbeltown

1890s; 1900s; 1910s

golf; recreation; sport; Kintyre Golf Club; Machrihanish Golf Club; Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway

Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service

MacGrory Brothers Archive

Golfers at Machrihanish Golf Club, once known as Kintyre Golf Club. Machrihanish developed as a tourist spot even before the Campbeltown and Machrihanish Light Railway was constructed, in 1905. The golf club, established in 1876, initially had ten holes set into its dunes, but this was later extended to 14. In 1888, the club's name was changed to Machrihanish Golf Club, due to the general consensus that its original name was not inspiring enough for such a beautiful course. In 1909, the golf club hosted the Scottish Ladies Golf Championship <br /> <br /> <br /> This image is available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: libraryhq@argyll-bute.gov.uk">Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service</a>