Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Volunteers at work
EXTERNAL ID
QZP27_59_60_8
PLACENAME
Campbeltown
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Campbeltown
PERIOD
1890s; 1900s
CREATOR
Charles & Dennis MacGrory
SOURCE
Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service
ASSET ID
30626
KEYWORDS
military
soldiers
Volunteers at work

The photographers Charles and Dennis MacGrory were members of the local volunteer unit and often photographed the annual camp which they attended. Charles was a Colour Sergeant and Dennis was a Battery Sergeant Major.

There were two volunteer units in the Campbeltown area: the Argyll Highland Rifles, an infantry unit later known as the 5th Volunteer Battalion, and the 1st Argyll and Bute Garrison Artillery (Volunteers), a coastal defence artillery unit.

In 1908, the Territorial Army was formed and the infantry unit was renamed the 8th (Argyllshire) Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Territorial Army. The Artillery unit became the Argyll Mountain Battery


This image is available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Volunteers at work

ARGYLL: Campbeltown

1890s; 1900s

military; soldiers

Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service

MacGrory Brothers Archive

The photographers Charles and Dennis MacGrory were members of the local volunteer unit and often photographed the annual camp which they attended. Charles was a Colour Sergeant and Dennis was a Battery Sergeant Major.<br /> <br /> There were two volunteer units in the Campbeltown area: the Argyll Highland Rifles, an infantry unit later known as the 5th Volunteer Battalion, and the 1st Argyll and Bute Garrison Artillery (Volunteers), a coastal defence artillery unit.<br /> <br /> In 1908, the Territorial Army was formed and the infantry unit was renamed the 8th (Argyllshire) Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Territorial Army. The Artillery unit became the Argyll Mountain Battery <br /> <br /> <br /> This image is available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: libraryhq@argyll-bute.gov.uk">Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service</a>