Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Argyll and Sutherland Volunteers' annual camp
EXTERNAL ID
QZP27_2690
PLACENAME
unidentified
PERIOD
1890s; 1900s; 1910s
CREATOR
Charles & Dennis MacGrory
SOURCE
Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service
ASSET ID
30720
KEYWORDS
Argyll and Sutherland Volunteers
camps
Territorial Army
armies
Argyll and Sutherland Volunteers' annual camp

Argyll and Sutherland Volunteers' annual camp, at either Eglinton in Ayrshire, or Kildaloig in Kintyre.

Dennis and Charles MacGrory, both photographers, were members of the volunteers and took advantage of their situation by photographing everyday activities such as gun drill, inspections and annual camps.

In 1860, two volunteer companies were formed, under the support of the Town Council. Both companies were fully recognised by the Government in the same year and were later organised into the Argyll Highland Rifles and the 1st Argyll and Bute Garrison Artillery (Volunteers). In 1881, the Argyll Highland Rifles became the 5th Volunteer, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

When the Territorial Army was created in 1908, both companies were reorganised. The 5th Volunteer, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders became the 8th (Argyllshire) Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland HighlandersTerritorial Army. The 1st Argyll and Bute Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) became the Argyll Mountain Battery


This image is available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Argyll and Sutherland Volunteers' annual camp

1890s; 1900s; 1910s

Argyll and Sutherland Volunteers; camps; Territorial Army; armies

Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service

MacGrory Brothers Archive

Argyll and Sutherland Volunteers' annual camp, at either Eglinton in Ayrshire, or Kildaloig in Kintyre.<br /> <br /> Dennis and Charles MacGrory, both photographers, were members of the volunteers and took advantage of their situation by photographing everyday activities such as gun drill, inspections and annual camps.<br /> <br /> In 1860, two volunteer companies were formed, under the support of the Town Council. Both companies were fully recognised by the Government in the same year and were later organised into the Argyll Highland Rifles and the 1st Argyll and Bute Garrison Artillery (Volunteers). In 1881, the Argyll Highland Rifles became the 5th Volunteer, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.<br /> <br /> When the Territorial Army was created in 1908, both companies were reorganised. The 5th Volunteer, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders became the 8th (Argyllshire) Battalion, Argyll and Sutherland HighlandersTerritorial Army. The 1st Argyll and Bute Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) became the Argyll Mountain Battery <br /> <br /> <br /> This image is available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email <a href="mailto: libraryhq@argyll-bute.gov.uk">Argyll and Bute Library & Information Service</a>