Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Archway in the grounds of Thurso Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_26_P496
PLACENAME
Thurso Castle
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
PERIOD
1790s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30755
KEYWORDS
castles
rivers
arches
walls
buildings
architecture
Archway in the grounds of Thurso Castle

The first Thurso Castle was built in 1660. A new castle was built nearby in the 19th century by Sir Tollemache Sinclair. The castle was the seat of the Sinclairs of Ulbster. The castle was built in the style of a French chateau close to the shore on the east of the river mouth. During the Second World War a sea mine exploded nearby and the castle became structurally unsafe. This archway was built in 1665 and is a particularly ornamental piece of stonework. It stood in the grounds of the existing castle.

This illustration is found in the 20th volume of Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland in the 1790s. Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster (1754-1835) produced the first of three accounts based on detailed parish reports. The accounts cover many subjects, including agriculture, industry, population and natural history. The first statistical account was published between 1791 and 1799. The second, or 'New statistical account' followed in 1834-1845, and a third was undertaken in the twentieth century (1951-1992)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Archway in the grounds of Thurso Castle

CAITHNESS: Thurso

1790s

castles; rivers; arches; walls; buildings; architecture

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The first Thurso Castle was built in 1660. A new castle was built nearby in the 19th century by Sir Tollemache Sinclair. The castle was the seat of the Sinclairs of Ulbster. The castle was built in the style of a French chateau close to the shore on the east of the river mouth. During the Second World War a sea mine exploded nearby and the castle became structurally unsafe. This archway was built in 1665 and is a particularly ornamental piece of stonework. It stood in the grounds of the existing castle.<br /> <br /> This illustration is found in the 20th volume of Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland in the 1790s. Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster (1754-1835) produced the first of three accounts based on detailed parish reports. The accounts cover many subjects, including agriculture, industry, population and natural history. The first statistical account was published between 1791 and 1799. The second, or 'New statistical account' followed in 1834-1845, and a third was undertaken in the twentieth century (1951-1992)