Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Monument of Harold, Earl of Caithness
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_26_P535
PLACENAME
Harold's Tower
DISTRICT
Thurso
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
CAITHNESS: Thurso
PERIOD
1790s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30756
KEYWORDS
monuments
earls
follies
folly
graves
mausoleum
memorials
Monument of Harold, Earl of Caithness

This monument to Earl Harold of Caithness was erected by Sir John Sinclair around 1780-90. Harold the Younger died during a battle on the Hill of Clairdon, near Thurso, trying to recover his property from Earl Harold the Elder. Harold the Younger was the grandson of Earl Ronald and was the owner of half of Caithness, Orkney and Shetland.

The battle on Clairdon Hill took place in 1196 and Harold the Younger fell at an early stage. He was buried near to where he died and a chapel was erected there. After the chapel had fallen into disrepair, Sir John Sinclair built the monument which also serves as a burial place for the Sinclairs of Ulbster. The monument is an unusual hexagonal shape and has a turret at each corner.

This illustration is found in the 20th volume of Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland in the 1790s. Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster (1754-1835) produced the first of three accounts based on detailed parish reports. The accounts cover many subjects, including agriculture, industry, population and natural history. The first statistical account was published between 1791 and 1799. The second, or 'New statistical account' followed in 1834-1845, and a third was undertaken in the twentieth century (1951-1992)

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Monument of Harold, Earl of Caithness

CAITHNESS: Thurso

1790s

monuments; earls; follies; folly; graves; mausoleum; memorials

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This monument to Earl Harold of Caithness was erected by Sir John Sinclair around 1780-90. Harold the Younger died during a battle on the Hill of Clairdon, near Thurso, trying to recover his property from Earl Harold the Elder. Harold the Younger was the grandson of Earl Ronald and was the owner of half of Caithness, Orkney and Shetland.<br /> <br /> The battle on Clairdon Hill took place in 1196 and Harold the Younger fell at an early stage. He was buried near to where he died and a chapel was erected there. After the chapel had fallen into disrepair, Sir John Sinclair built the monument which also serves as a burial place for the Sinclairs of Ulbster. The monument is an unusual hexagonal shape and has a turret at each corner.<br /> <br /> This illustration is found in the 20th volume of Sir John Sinclair's Statistical Account of Scotland in the 1790s. Sir John Sinclair of Ulbster (1754-1835) produced the first of three accounts based on detailed parish reports. The accounts cover many subjects, including agriculture, industry, population and natural history. The first statistical account was published between 1791 and 1799. The second, or 'New statistical account' followed in 1834-1845, and a third was undertaken in the twentieth century (1951-1992)