Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Exterior views of Inverlochy Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_39_P068
PLACENAME
Inverlochy
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
DATE OF IMAGE
1898
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30761
KEYWORDS
Lochaber
Inverlochy Castle
Great Glen
Comyns
Lords of Lochaber
Duke of Argyll
Covenanters
Marquis of Montrose
Exterior views of Inverlochy Castle

Dating from around 1280, Inverlochy Castle is strategically placed at the mouth of the Great Glen. It was originally built by the Comyns, Lords of Lochaber. In 1645 it was the setting for the defeat of the Duke of Argyll and his Covenanting army by General Montrose. By the early 18th century, it was being used as a store by the Invergarry Iron Company. These photographs are included in 'Loyal Lochaber. Historical Genealogical and Traditionary' by W Drummond Norie, Glasgow, 1898

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Exterior views of Inverlochy Castle

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

1890s

Lochaber; Inverlochy Castle; Great Glen; Comyns; Lords of Lochaber; Duke of Argyll; Covenanters; Marquis of Montrose

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Dating from around 1280, Inverlochy Castle is strategically placed at the mouth of the Great Glen. It was originally built by the Comyns, Lords of Lochaber. In 1645 it was the setting for the defeat of the Duke of Argyll and his Covenanting army by General Montrose. By the early 18th century, it was being used as a store by the Invergarry Iron Company. These photographs are included in 'Loyal Lochaber. Historical Genealogical and Traditionary' by W Drummond Norie, Glasgow, 1898