Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fort William in 1891
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_39_P127
PLACENAME
Fort William
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
DATE OF IMAGE
1898
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30764
KEYWORDS
Lochaber
Fort William
forts
General George Monk
Gordonsburgh
Maryburgh
Duncansburgh
West Highland Railway
railways
Mallaig
Fort William in 1891

The first fort to exist in this area, the heart of Lochaber district, was named Inverlochy. It was built in 1645 by General George Monk and the adjacent village which grew from the herring industry was called Gordonsburgh.

In 1690 the fort was enlarged and renamed Fort William. Over time the nearby village took on two further names - Maryburgh and Duncansburgh. Towards the end of the 19th century, when the fort was being demolished to make way for the West Highland Railway, the village also became known as Fort William.

The railway line, running from Glasgow to Mallaig, opened in 1901.

The illustration is from 'Loyal Lochaber. Historical Genealogical and Traditionary' by W Drummond Norie, Glasgow, 1898

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fort William in 1891

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

1890s

Lochaber; Fort William; forts; General George Monk; Gordonsburgh; Maryburgh; Duncansburgh; West Highland Railway; railways; Mallaig

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The first fort to exist in this area, the heart of Lochaber district, was named Inverlochy. It was built in 1645 by General George Monk and the adjacent village which grew from the herring industry was called Gordonsburgh. <br /> <br /> In 1690 the fort was enlarged and renamed Fort William. Over time the nearby village took on two further names - Maryburgh and Duncansburgh. Towards the end of the 19th century, when the fort was being demolished to make way for the West Highland Railway, the village also became known as Fort William. <br /> <br /> The railway line, running from Glasgow to Mallaig, opened in 1901.<br /> <br /> The illustration is from 'Loyal Lochaber. Historical Genealogical and Traditionary' by W Drummond Norie, Glasgow, 1898