Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Gairlochy from Achnacarry Road
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_39_P231A
PLACENAME
Gairlochy
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
DATE OF IMAGE
1898
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30782
KEYWORDS
canals
Gairlochy from Achnacarry Road

Gairlochy lies at the southern end of Loch Lochy, about three miles northwest of Spean Bridge. When the Caledonain Canal was being constructed, an overflow from Loch Lochy was created at Gairlochy during the building of the canal locks. This artificial waterfall gave the settlement its name, Gairlochy - the 'roar of the Lochy'.

The photograph is from 'Loyal Lochaber. Historical Genealogical and Traditionary' by W Drummond Norie, Glasgow, 1898.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Gairlochy from Achnacarry Road

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

1890s

canals

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (photographs)

Gairlochy lies at the southern end of Loch Lochy, about three miles northwest of Spean Bridge. When the Caledonain Canal was being constructed, an overflow from Loch Lochy was created at Gairlochy during the building of the canal locks. This artificial waterfall gave the settlement its name, Gairlochy - the 'roar of the Lochy'. <br /> <br /> The photograph is from 'Loyal Lochaber. Historical Genealogical and Traditionary' by W Drummond Norie, Glasgow, 1898.