Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Monastery at Fort Augustus
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_39_P231D
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
1898
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30785
KEYWORDS
Fort Augustus Abbey
Fort Augustus Monastery
abbeys
monasteries
Monastery at Fort Augustus

The original fort at Fort Augustus, named after the Duke of Cumberland, was built between 1729 and 1742. In 1745 it was taken by the Jacobite army but in the years following Culloden it reverted to the government.
In 1867 the buildings were bought by the 14th Lord Lovat. The following decade his son, the 15th Lord, leased the buildings to the Benedictine Order of monks. The monks established an independent school which ran until 1993 when the complex was turned into a tourist attraction. Due to declining numbers, the abbey was forced to close in 1998 and the monks had to leave.

The photograph is from 'Loyal Lochaber. Historical Genealogical and Traditionary' by W Drummond Norie, Glasgow, 1898.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Monastery at Fort Augustus

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1890s

Fort Augustus Abbey; Fort Augustus Monastery; abbeys; monasteries

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (photographs)

The original fort at Fort Augustus, named after the Duke of Cumberland, was built between 1729 and 1742. In 1745 it was taken by the Jacobite army but in the years following Culloden it reverted to the government. <br /> In 1867 the buildings were bought by the 14th Lord Lovat. The following decade his son, the 15th Lord, leased the buildings to the Benedictine Order of monks. The monks established an independent school which ran until 1993 when the complex was turned into a tourist attraction. Due to declining numbers, the abbey was forced to close in 1998 and the monks had to leave.<br /> <br /> The photograph is from 'Loyal Lochaber. Historical Genealogical and Traditionary' by W Drummond Norie, Glasgow, 1898.