Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Near Inverlochy Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_39_P240D
PLACENAME
Inverlochy
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
DATE OF IMAGE
1898
PERIOD
1890s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30789
KEYWORDS
Covenanters
Near Inverlochy Castle

Dating from around 1280, Inverlochy Castle is strategically placed at the mouth of the Great Glen. It was originally built by the Comyns, Lords of Lochaber. In 1645 it was the setting for the defeat of the Duke of Argyll and his Covenanting army by General Montrose. In the early 18th century, it was used as a store by the Invergarry Iron Company.

The photograph is from 'Loyal Lochaber. Historical Genealogical and Traditionary' by W Drummond Norie, Glasgow, 1898.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Near Inverlochy Castle

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

1890s

Covenanters

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (photographs)

Dating from around 1280, Inverlochy Castle is strategically placed at the mouth of the Great Glen. It was originally built by the Comyns, Lords of Lochaber. In 1645 it was the setting for the defeat of the Duke of Argyll and his Covenanting army by General Montrose. In the early 18th century, it was used as a store by the Invergarry Iron Company.<br /> <br /> The photograph is from 'Loyal Lochaber. Historical Genealogical and Traditionary' by W Drummond Norie, Glasgow, 1898.