Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Campbell of Breadalbane
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_82_VOLI_P001
DATE OF IMAGE
1845
PERIOD
1840s
CREATOR
Robert R McIan
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30852
KEYWORDS
highland dress
clans
clan histories
clan events
tartans
Stuart
James Logan Clanbook
Campbell of Breadalbane

James Logan's "The Clans of the Scottish Highlands" was published to celebrate the centenary of the 1745 Jacobite Rising. It was illustrated by Robert R McIan.

The Campbells of Breadalbane trace their history back to the 1st Lord Campbell, Sir Colin, Sir Duncan Campbell's second son. Through his marriage to Lady Marjory Stewart he obtained a third part of the Lands of Lorn. Receiving Glenlochy from his father in 1432, Sir Colin built Kichurn castle in 1440. Sir Colin's descendants added to the family land, including Glenlyon, Finlarig and territory throughout Argyll and Perthshire. Born in 1635, Sir John Campbell, 11th of Glenorchy, supported King Charles II. He was created the Earl of Caithness in 1677. Sinclair of Keiss contested this and established his right to the Caithness Earldom, whereupon Glenorchy was created Earl of Breadalbane, in 1681. In 1896, John, 14th of Breadalbane, was created a UK baron to become the Marquess of Breadalbane. John, 2nd Marquess and 5th Earl, died without issue and the Marquisate of Breadalbane and Earldom of Ormelie became extinct. The Scots titles were succeeded by Sir John Alexander Gavin Campbell, 6th Earl of Breadalbane. His son, Gavin, 7th Earl, was created Marquis of Breadalbane in 1855 but also died without issue in 1922. The Marquisat became extinct and the Scottish honours devolved on his nephew, Iain Edward Herbert Campbell, 8th Earl, who died in 1923. Today Taymouth Castle, the principal seat of the House of Breadalbane, is a hotel but the Earl still holds large estates. There are many cadets of the house, notably Campbell of Glenlyon, and the baronets of Bercaldine

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Campbell of Breadalbane

1840s

highland dress; clans; clan histories; clan events; tartans; Stuart; James Logan Clanbook;

Highland Libraries

The Clans of the Scottish Highlands

James Logan's "The Clans of the Scottish Highlands" was published to celebrate the centenary of the 1745 Jacobite Rising. It was illustrated by Robert R McIan.<br /> <br /> The Campbells of Breadalbane trace their history back to the 1st Lord Campbell, Sir Colin, Sir Duncan Campbell's second son. Through his marriage to Lady Marjory Stewart he obtained a third part of the Lands of Lorn. Receiving Glenlochy from his father in 1432, Sir Colin built Kichurn castle in 1440. Sir Colin's descendants added to the family land, including Glenlyon, Finlarig and territory throughout Argyll and Perthshire. Born in 1635, Sir John Campbell, 11th of Glenorchy, supported King Charles II. He was created the Earl of Caithness in 1677. Sinclair of Keiss contested this and established his right to the Caithness Earldom, whereupon Glenorchy was created Earl of Breadalbane, in 1681. In 1896, John, 14th of Breadalbane, was created a UK baron to become the Marquess of Breadalbane. John, 2nd Marquess and 5th Earl, died without issue and the Marquisate of Breadalbane and Earldom of Ormelie became extinct. The Scots titles were succeeded by Sir John Alexander Gavin Campbell, 6th Earl of Breadalbane. His son, Gavin, 7th Earl, was created Marquis of Breadalbane in 1855 but also died without issue in 1922. The Marquisat became extinct and the Scottish honours devolved on his nephew, Iain Edward Herbert Campbell, 8th Earl, who died in 1923. Today Taymouth Castle, the principal seat of the House of Breadalbane, is a hotel but the Earl still holds large estates. There are many cadets of the house, notably Campbell of Glenlyon, and the baronets of Bercaldine