Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Church of St Duthus
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_102_P040
PLACENAME
St Duthus' Collegiate Church
DISTRICT
Tain
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Tain
DATE OF IMAGE
1886
PERIOD
1880s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30889
KEYWORDS
churches
chapels
Tain
saints
St Duthus
St Duthac
relics
Reformation
shrines
Church of St Duthus

St Duthus' (or Duthac) Collegiate Church was built between 1370 and 1458 to house the shrine of St Duthus. Building work was started before the original chapel was burnt down in 1427. After that the completion of the new church became more important.

The church became a parish church at the time of the Reformation in 1560. It was abandoned in 1815 but restored in the 1870s. The ruins of the earlier chapel can be found at the south east corner of the church.

This illustration was taken from Rev W Taylor's 'Researches into the History of Tain'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Church of St Duthus

ROSS: Tain

1880s

churches; chapels; Tain; saints; St Duthus; St Duthac; relics; Reformation; shrines

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

St Duthus' (or Duthac) Collegiate Church was built between 1370 and 1458 to house the shrine of St Duthus. Building work was started before the original chapel was burnt down in 1427. After that the completion of the new church became more important.<br /> <br /> The church became a parish church at the time of the Reformation in 1560. It was abandoned in 1815 but restored in the 1870s. The ruins of the earlier chapel can be found at the south east corner of the church.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from Rev W Taylor's 'Researches into the History of Tain'