Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunstaffnage Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_135_P443
PLACENAME
Dunstaffnage Castle
DISTRICT
South Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride
DATE OF IMAGE
1808
PERIOD
1800s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30910
KEYWORDS
castles
strongholds
Prince Charles Edward Stuart
Prince Charles Edward Stewart
clans
buildings
Dunstaffnage Castle

The remains of Dunstaffnage Castle lie north of Oban, at a strategic point on the Firth of Lorn at the mouth of Loch Etive. The area was once an important junction of the west coast sea lanes, and was fortified in the seventh century when the Kings of Dalriada emigrated there from Ireland.

Dunstaffnage Castle was built in the 13th century by the MacDougalls and in 1309 it was seized by Robert the Bruce when they refused to pledge allegiance to him. The castle was later handed over to the Campbells. The castle was garrisoned by Government troops during the Jacobite Rising of 1745 and was also used as a temporary prison for Flora MacDonald in 1746 for her part in the escape of Bonnie Prince Charlie.

This illustration is from 'The Beauties of Scotland, Vol. V' by Robert Forsyth

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunstaffnage Castle

ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride

1800s

castles; strongholds; Prince Charles Edward Stuart; Prince Charles Edward Stewart; clans; buildings

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The remains of Dunstaffnage Castle lie north of Oban, at a strategic point on the Firth of Lorn at the mouth of Loch Etive. The area was once an important junction of the west coast sea lanes, and was fortified in the seventh century when the Kings of Dalriada emigrated there from Ireland. <br /> <br /> Dunstaffnage Castle was built in the 13th century by the MacDougalls and in 1309 it was seized by Robert the Bruce when they refused to pledge allegiance to him. The castle was later handed over to the Campbells. The castle was garrisoned by Government troops during the Jacobite Rising of 1745 and was also used as a temporary prison for Flora MacDonald in 1746 for her part in the escape of Bonnie Prince Charlie.<br /> <br /> This illustration is from 'The Beauties of Scotland, Vol. V' by Robert Forsyth