Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old Dunrobin Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_159_83
PLACENAME
Dunrobin Castle
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Golspie
DATE OF IMAGE
1874
PERIOD
1700s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30919
KEYWORDS
Dunrobin Castle
castles
Sutherland
Earls of Sutherland
Dukes of Sutherland
Countesses of Sutherland
clearances
clans
estates
sheep
Old Dunrobin Castle

Dunrobin stands approximately one mile north east of Golspie and is the ancestral home of the Earls and Dukes of Sutherland. The name is said to be derived from the 6th Earl, Robert, 'Robin's Castle'. The castle originally dates back to the first half of the 13th century and was an enormous, fortified square keep. Starting in the 1600s, several extensions were added and the original keep is now no longer visible. The castle was extensively re-modelled in a Flemish style by Sir Charles Berry, the designer of the House of Commons, in 1840 but many of the interiors were destroyed by a fire in 1915 and were re-designed by Sir Robert Lorimer.

The Sutherland family has an infamous part to play in the history of the Highlands. The 1st Duke of Sutherland "improved" the estate in about 1810, when it was discovered that the land was more profitable as grazing by sheep than it was being farmed by tenant farmers. He is widely held responsible for the most enthusiastic of the Highland Clearances.

This illustration is taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 1' ed. by John S. Keltie

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old Dunrobin Castle

SUTHERLAND: Golspie

1700s

Dunrobin Castle; castles; Sutherland; Earls of Sutherland; Dukes of Sutherland; Countesses of Sutherland; clearances; clans; estates; sheep

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Dunrobin stands approximately one mile north east of Golspie and is the ancestral home of the Earls and Dukes of Sutherland. The name is said to be derived from the 6th Earl, Robert, 'Robin's Castle'. The castle originally dates back to the first half of the 13th century and was an enormous, fortified square keep. Starting in the 1600s, several extensions were added and the original keep is now no longer visible. The castle was extensively re-modelled in a Flemish style by Sir Charles Berry, the designer of the House of Commons, in 1840 but many of the interiors were destroyed by a fire in 1915 and were re-designed by Sir Robert Lorimer. <br /> <br /> The Sutherland family has an infamous part to play in the history of the Highlands. The 1st Duke of Sutherland "improved" the estate in about 1810, when it was discovered that the land was more profitable as grazing by sheep than it was being farmed by tenant farmers. He is widely held responsible for the most enthusiastic of the Highland Clearances. <br /> <br /> This illustration is taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 1' ed. by John S. Keltie