Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle Grant
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_159_254a
PLACENAME
Castle Grant
DISTRICT
Cromdale
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
PERIOD
1870s
CREATOR
Paterson
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30932
KEYWORDS
Castle Grant
castles
Grants
clans
families
Castle Freuchie
Castle Grant

Castle Grant stands a mile north of Grantown-on-Spey and was the former seat of the Grant chiefs of Strathspey. The original tower was built in the 15th century by the Comyns of Badenoch.

Previously named Castle Freuchie, it became the principal residence of the Grants in 1693. Despite the fact that the Grants were government supporters, the castle was occupied by Jacobites during both the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite Risings.

The original L-shaped tower was extended in 1765 by Sir Ludovic Grant, into the castle which remains today. The castle eventually fell into disrepair but was refurbished in the 1990s and is now a private residence.

This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 2' ed. by John S. Keltie

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle Grant

1870s

Castle Grant; castles; Grants; clans; families; Castle Freuchie

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Castle Grant stands a mile north of Grantown-on-Spey and was the former seat of the Grant chiefs of Strathspey. The original tower was built in the 15th century by the Comyns of Badenoch. <br /> <br /> Previously named Castle Freuchie, it became the principal residence of the Grants in 1693. Despite the fact that the Grants were government supporters, the castle was occupied by Jacobites during both the 1715 and 1745 Jacobite Risings. <br /> <br /> The original L-shaped tower was extended in 1765 by Sir Ludovic Grant, into the castle which remains today. The castle eventually fell into disrepair but was refurbished in the 1990s and is now a private residence. <br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 2' ed. by John S. Keltie