Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunrobin Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_159_276
PLACENAME
Dunrobin Castle
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Golspie
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
PERIOD
1870s
CREATOR
Collier & Park
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30936
KEYWORDS
Sutherland
Duke of Sutherland
castles
Dunrobin Castle
clearances
sheep
estates
Countess of Sutherland
Dunrobin Castle

Dunrobin stands approximately a mile north east of Golspie and is the ancestral home of the Earls and Dukes of Sutherland. The name is said to be derived from the 6th Earl, Robert, 'Robin's Castle'.

The castle originally dates back to the first half of the 13th century and was an enormous, fortified square keep but was extensively re-modelled to a Flemish style by Sir Charles Berry, the designer of the House of Commons, in 1840. The original keep is now no longer visible. Much of the interior was destroyed by a fire in 1915 and was re-designed by Sir Robert Lorimer.

The Sutherland family had an infamous part to play in the history of the Highlands. The 1st Duke of Sutherland "improved" the estate when it was discovered that the land was more profitable as grazing for sheep than it was being farmed by tenant farmers. He is widely held responsible for the most enthusiastic of the Highland Clearances.

This illustration is taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 2' ed. by John S. Keltie

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunrobin Castle

SUTHERLAND: Golspie

1870s

Sutherland; Duke of Sutherland; castles; Dunrobin Castle; clearances; sheep; estates; Countess of Sutherland

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Dunrobin stands approximately a mile north east of Golspie and is the ancestral home of the Earls and Dukes of Sutherland. The name is said to be derived from the 6th Earl, Robert, 'Robin's Castle'. <br /> <br /> The castle originally dates back to the first half of the 13th century and was an enormous, fortified square keep but was extensively re-modelled to a Flemish style by Sir Charles Berry, the designer of the House of Commons, in 1840. The original keep is now no longer visible. Much of the interior was destroyed by a fire in 1915 and was re-designed by Sir Robert Lorimer. <br /> <br /> The Sutherland family had an infamous part to play in the history of the Highlands. The 1st Duke of Sutherland "improved" the estate when it was discovered that the land was more profitable as grazing for sheep than it was being farmed by tenant farmers. He is widely held responsible for the most enthusiastic of the Highland Clearances. <br /> <br /> This illustration is taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 2' ed. by John S. Keltie