Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old Rossdhu Castle, from the Chiefs of the Colquhouns
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_159_288
PLACENAME
Rossdhu Castle
DISTRICT
Luss
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL
DATE OF IMAGE
1875
PERIOD
1870s
CREATOR
Paterson
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30937
KEYWORDS
castles
Rossdhu Castle
clans
Colquhoun clan
Luss
Loch Lomond
golf
Old Rossdhu Castle, from the Chiefs of the Colquhouns

Located near Luss, on Loch Lomond, old Rossdhu Castle dates from the 15th century. The castle was home to the chiefs of the Clan Colquhoun until it was replaced by the Georgian mansion Rossdhu House in 1773. Rossdhu Castle was twice occupied by English Cromwellian troops.

Rossdhu House is now the Club House for the Loch Lomond Golf Club, which holds the annual Loch Lomond Invitational. The ruins of old Rossdhu Castle stand behind the 18th green of the golf course.

This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 2' ed. by John S. Keltie

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old Rossdhu Castle, from the Chiefs of the Colquhouns

ARGYLL

1870s

castles; Rossdhu Castle; clans; Colquhoun clan; Luss; Loch Lomond; golf

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Located near Luss, on Loch Lomond, old Rossdhu Castle dates from the 15th century. The castle was home to the chiefs of the Clan Colquhoun until it was replaced by the Georgian mansion Rossdhu House in 1773. Rossdhu Castle was twice occupied by English Cromwellian troops. <br /> <br /> Rossdhu House is now the Club House for the Loch Lomond Golf Club, which holds the annual Loch Lomond Invitational. The ruins of old Rossdhu Castle stand behind the 18th green of the golf course. <br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 2' ed. by John S. Keltie