Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Colonels of the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_159_324
DATE OF IMAGE
1877
PERIOD
1870s
CREATOR
H Crickmore
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30942
KEYWORDS
Highland Regiments
The Black Watch
42nd Royal Highlanders
armies
tartans
uniforms
Colonels of the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment

The Black Watch trace their origins to the six Independent Companies raised in the 1720s to maintain security in the Highlands. Their popular name 'Am Freiceadan Dubh' or 'The Black Watch' came from the dark colour of the black, green and blue Government tartan of their belted plaids. In 1740 the companies were consolidated into the 43rd Regiment of Foot, which in due course was re-designated the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment.

The illustration which appeared in 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans, and Highland Regiments' by John S Keltie, published in 1877, shows four Colonels of the Regiment:

Lieutenant General John Lindsay, 20th Earl of Crawford, First Colonel 1739-1740.
General Sir George Murray GCB, GCH, 7th Colonel 1823-1843.
Lieutenant General Sir John MacDonald GCB, 8th Colonel 1844-1850.
General Sir Duncan Cameron GCB, 11th Colonel 1863-1865.

Since the Army Reforms of 2006 the regiment has been designated The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland'.

(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Colonels of the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment

1870s

Highland Regiments; The Black Watch; 42nd Royal Highlanders; armies; tartans; uniforms

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The Black Watch trace their origins to the six Independent Companies raised in the 1720s to maintain security in the Highlands. Their popular name 'Am Freiceadan Dubh' or 'The Black Watch' came from the dark colour of the black, green and blue Government tartan of their belted plaids. In 1740 the companies were consolidated into the 43rd Regiment of Foot, which in due course was re-designated the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment. <br /> <br /> The illustration which appeared in 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans, and Highland Regiments' by John S Keltie, published in 1877, shows four Colonels of the Regiment: <br /> <br /> Lieutenant General John Lindsay, 20th Earl of Crawford, First Colonel 1739-1740.<br /> General Sir George Murray GCB, GCH, 7th Colonel 1823-1843.<br /> Lieutenant General Sir John MacDonald GCB, 8th Colonel 1844-1850.<br /> General Sir Duncan Cameron GCB, 11th Colonel 1863-1865.<br /> <br /> Since the Army Reforms of 2006 the regiment has been designated The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland'.<br /> <br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).