Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunkeld in the 17th Century
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_159_384
PLACENAME
Dunkeld
DISTRICT
Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally
DATE OF IMAGE
1874
PERIOD
1600s
CREATOR
Paterson
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30950
KEYWORDS
Dunkeld
Killiecrankie
battles
Jacobites
Celtic Church
places
Cathedral
buildings
town
Celtic Church
Reformation
Cameronians
armies
Dunkeld in the 17th Century

Dunkeld lies 15 miles (24km) north of Perth on the River Tay. In the 9th century Kenneth MacAlpin made Dunkeld the head of the Celtic Church. Dunkeld was also the capital, jointly with Scone, of the newly created kingdom of the Picts and the Scots, called Alba.

Dunkeld Cathedral was built in 1325 but destroyed during the Reformation.

Dunkeld itself, was virtually destroyed during the Battle of Dunkeld in 1689. After the Battle of Killiecrankie the remains of the government forces retreated to Dunkeld and were joined by Cameronian reinforcements. On 21st August 1689 4000 Jacobites attacked and in the 16 hours that followed only 3 houses were left untouched. Despite their victory, the Battle of Dunkeld signalled the beginning of the end for the Jacobite rebellion.

Dunkeld was rebuilt as a market town and commercial centre where the drove roads met.

This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 1' ed. by John S. Keltie

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunkeld in the 17th Century

PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally

1600s

Dunkeld; Killiecrankie; battles; Jacobites; Celtic Church; places; Cathedral; buildings; town; Celtic Church; Reformation; Cameronians; armies

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Dunkeld lies 15 miles (24km) north of Perth on the River Tay. In the 9th century Kenneth MacAlpin made Dunkeld the head of the Celtic Church. Dunkeld was also the capital, jointly with Scone, of the newly created kingdom of the Picts and the Scots, called Alba. <br /> <br /> Dunkeld Cathedral was built in 1325 but destroyed during the Reformation. <br /> <br /> Dunkeld itself, was virtually destroyed during the Battle of Dunkeld in 1689. After the Battle of Killiecrankie the remains of the government forces retreated to Dunkeld and were joined by Cameronian reinforcements. On 21st August 1689 4000 Jacobites attacked and in the 16 hours that followed only 3 houses were left untouched. Despite their victory, the Battle of Dunkeld signalled the beginning of the end for the Jacobite rebellion. <br /> <br /> Dunkeld was rebuilt as a market town and commercial centre where the drove roads met.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 1' ed. by John S. Keltie