Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fort Augustus
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_159_485
PLACENAME
Fort Augustus
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
1874
PERIOD
1870s
CREATOR
Paterson
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30959
KEYWORDS
Fort Augustus
forts
General Wade
lochs
Loch Ness
Caledonian Canal
canals
abbeys
Fort Augustus

Fort Augustus is situated on the south west end of Loch Ness where it meets the Caledonian Canal. It was originally named after St Cummein and in Gaelic the name is still Cille Chumein.

General Wade built a fort in the area in 1730 and the town grew up around it. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who was to become Duke of Cumberland, the famous 'Butcher' of Culloden. The remains of the original fort were incorporated into a Benedictine Abbey in the 19th century.

This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 1' ed. by John S. Keltie

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fort Augustus

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1870s

Fort Augustus; forts; General Wade; lochs; Loch Ness; Caledonian Canal; canals; abbeys

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Fort Augustus is situated on the south west end of Loch Ness where it meets the Caledonian Canal. It was originally named after St Cummein and in Gaelic the name is still Cille Chumein. <br /> <br /> General Wade built a fort in the area in 1730 and the town grew up around it. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who was to become Duke of Cumberland, the famous 'Butcher' of Culloden. The remains of the original fort were incorporated into a Benedictine Abbey in the 19th century. <br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 1' ed. by John S. Keltie