Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old Culloden House
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_159_657
PLACENAME
Culloden House
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1874
PERIOD
1870s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30970
KEYWORDS
Culloden House
Culloden
Forbes family
Bonnie Prince Charlie
Charles Edward Stuart
Wolf of Badenoch
Alexander Stewart
houses
estates
Old Culloden House

A house on the Culloden estate near Inverness is first recorded around 1323. By the end of the 14th century it had passed into the hands of Alexander Stewart, the 'Wolf of Badenoch', younger son of Robert II. The estates passed through the Edmundson family, the Strachan family and the Chief of the clan MacIntosh before being bought by the Forbes family in 1576. The Forbes family were loyal Presbyterians and because of this the estate was plundered by Jacobites in 1688. In 1746 the house was requisitioned by Bonnie Prince Charlie and used for his lodging and battle headquarters in the days before the battle of Culloden.

Duncan Forbes, Lord Culloden (1685-1747), writes to a friend that the Prince and his retinue left everything within the house intact but there was considerable loss to the surrounding policies, from livestock to corn supplies, carried out by both Jacobites and Hanoverians. Details of the costs involved are given in 'More Culloden Papers' edited by Duncan Warrand.

The present house, which replaced the house in the illustration, was built between 1772 and 1788 and is now a hotel.

This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 1' ed. by John S. Keltie

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old Culloden House

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1870s

Culloden House; Culloden; Forbes family; Bonnie Prince Charlie; Charles Edward Stuart; Wolf of Badenoch; Alexander Stewart; houses; estates

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

A house on the Culloden estate near Inverness is first recorded around 1323. By the end of the 14th century it had passed into the hands of Alexander Stewart, the 'Wolf of Badenoch', younger son of Robert II. The estates passed through the Edmundson family, the Strachan family and the Chief of the clan MacIntosh before being bought by the Forbes family in 1576. The Forbes family were loyal Presbyterians and because of this the estate was plundered by Jacobites in 1688. In 1746 the house was requisitioned by Bonnie Prince Charlie and used for his lodging and battle headquarters in the days before the battle of Culloden.<br /> <br /> Duncan Forbes, Lord Culloden (1685-1747), writes to a friend that the Prince and his retinue left everything within the house intact but there was considerable loss to the surrounding policies, from livestock to corn supplies, carried out by both Jacobites and Hanoverians. Details of the costs involved are given in 'More Culloden Papers' edited by Duncan Warrand.<br /> <br /> The present house, which replaced the house in the illustration, was built between 1772 and 1788 and is now a hotel.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 1' ed. by John S. Keltie