Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Balmoral
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_159_774
PLACENAME
Balmoral
DISTRICT
Deeside
DATE OF IMAGE
1874
PERIOD
1870s
CREATOR
Sam Bough & W Forrest
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30986
KEYWORDS
Queen Victoria
Balmoral
castles
Royal Deeside
tourism
travel
royal residences
tartans
bagpipes
music
literature
Braemar Gathering
Highland games
Balmoral

Balmoral Castle stands 8 miles (13km) east of Braemar close to the village of Crathie. It was bought by Prince Albert for Queen Victoria in 1852 for a sum of £31,500 for 24,000 acres. The original building was a 16th-century tower house but a new castle was built for the Queen by William Smith, city architect for Aberdeen, in close consultation with Prince Albert. Queen Victoria loved the Highlands and was a regular attendee of the Braemar Gathering, a tradition that still exists in today's Royal Family. She also created the post of Queen's Piper after she and Albert had visited the Marquis of Breadalbane who has his own personal piper. Angus Mackay was the first man to hold the post.

After Prince Albert's death in 1861, Queen Victoria secluded herself at Balmoral for many months and withdrew from public view. The Victorian Era was a time of romanticising the Highlands. There was a resurgence in tourism, tartan, music and writing. The novels of Sir Walter Scott were particularly popular and events such as Highland games enjoyed renewed interest due to the royal approval. The influence of Queen Victoria led many to undertake tours of the Highlands.

This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 1' ed. by John S. Keltie

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Balmoral

1870s

Queen Victoria; Balmoral; castles; Royal Deeside; tourism; travel; royal residences; tartans; bagpipes; music; literature; Braemar Gathering; Highland games

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Balmoral Castle stands 8 miles (13km) east of Braemar close to the village of Crathie. It was bought by Prince Albert for Queen Victoria in 1852 for a sum of £31,500 for 24,000 acres. The original building was a 16th-century tower house but a new castle was built for the Queen by William Smith, city architect for Aberdeen, in close consultation with Prince Albert. Queen Victoria loved the Highlands and was a regular attendee of the Braemar Gathering, a tradition that still exists in today's Royal Family. She also created the post of Queen's Piper after she and Albert had visited the Marquis of Breadalbane who has his own personal piper. Angus Mackay was the first man to hold the post.<br /> <br /> After Prince Albert's death in 1861, Queen Victoria secluded herself at Balmoral for many months and withdrew from public view. The Victorian Era was a time of romanticising the Highlands. There was a resurgence in tourism, tartan, music and writing. The novels of Sir Walter Scott were particularly popular and events such as Highland games enjoyed renewed interest due to the royal approval. The influence of Queen Victoria led many to undertake tours of the Highlands. <br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'A History of the Scottish Highlands, Highland Clans and Highland Regiments vol. 1' ed. by John S. Keltie