Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cross and Monastic Remains at Oronsay
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_179_588
PLACENAME
Oronsay
DISTRICT
Jura and Colonsay
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Colonsay and Oronsay
DATE OF IMAGE
1851
PERIOD
1850s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
30999
KEYWORDS
Oronsay
Oransay
islands
St Columba
priories
crosses
stones
Cross and Monastic Remains at Oronsay

Oronsay is a small island south of Colonsay. The two are joined by sand at low tide. The islands were named after St Columba and St Oran. The remains of a 14th century Augustinian priory, founded by the Lords of the Isles, can be found on Oronsay. Beside them stands an elegant stone cross.

Illustration taken from 'Anderson's Guide to the Highlands vol 1' by Anderson and Peter Anderson

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cross and Monastic Remains at Oronsay

ARGYLL: Colonsay and Oronsay

1850s

Oronsay; Oransay; islands; St Columba; priories; crosses; stones

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Oronsay is a small island south of Colonsay. The two are joined by sand at low tide. The islands were named after St Columba and St Oran. The remains of a 14th century Augustinian priory, founded by the Lords of the Isles, can be found on Oronsay. Beside them stands an elegant stone cross. <br /> <br /> Illustration taken from 'Anderson's Guide to the Highlands vol 1' by Anderson and Peter Anderson