Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunkeld
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_205_P009
PLACENAME
Dunkeld
DISTRICT
Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally
DATE OF IMAGE
1866
PERIOD
1800s
CREATOR
W & A K Johnston
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31011
KEYWORDS
places
Dunkeld
cathedrals
buildings
towns
Columba
Celtic Church
Reformation
battles
Jacobites
trades
Dunkeld

Dunkeld lies 15 miles north of Perth on the River Tay. The village's recorded history dates back to 730 AD and a settlement of Culdee Monks. This was rebuilt by Kenneth MacAlpine in 848 AD and two years later the relics of St Columba were moved to Dunkeld from Iona for safe keeping from Viking raiders.

Dunkeld Cathedral was built in 1325 but destroyed during the Reformation. Part of it was restored and used as the Parish church.

In 1689, after the Battle of Killiecrankie, the remainder of the Government troops retreated to Dunkeld where they were joined by reinforcements from the Cameronian Regiment from Doune. In August 1689 4000 Jacobites attacked. The battle raged for 16 hours before the Jacobites withdrew. In that time there were only three houses that had not been destroyed.

Dunkeld was rebuilt as a market town and commercial centre where the drove roads met.

In 1809 Dunkeld was linked with Birnam, across the River Tay, by a bridge designed by Thomas Telford.

This illustration can be found in 'Concise Historical Proofs respecting the Gael of Alban', by James A Robertson

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunkeld

PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally

1800s

places; Dunkeld; cathedrals; buildings; towns; Columba; Celtic Church; Reformation; battles; Jacobites; trades

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Dunkeld lies 15 miles north of Perth on the River Tay. The village's recorded history dates back to 730 AD and a settlement of Culdee Monks. This was rebuilt by Kenneth MacAlpine in 848 AD and two years later the relics of St Columba were moved to Dunkeld from Iona for safe keeping from Viking raiders.<br /> <br /> Dunkeld Cathedral was built in 1325 but destroyed during the Reformation. Part of it was restored and used as the Parish church.<br /> <br /> In 1689, after the Battle of Killiecrankie, the remainder of the Government troops retreated to Dunkeld where they were joined by reinforcements from the Cameronian Regiment from Doune. In August 1689 4000 Jacobites attacked. The battle raged for 16 hours before the Jacobites withdrew. In that time there were only three houses that had not been destroyed.<br /> <br /> Dunkeld was rebuilt as a market town and commercial centre where the drove roads met.<br /> <br /> In 1809 Dunkeld was linked with Birnam, across the River Tay, by a bridge designed by Thomas Telford.<br /> <br /> This illustration can be found in 'Concise Historical Proofs respecting the Gael of Alban', by James A Robertson