Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dagger found at Cleigh, nr Oban, Argyll & Bute
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_222_P248
PLACENAME
Cleigh
DISTRICT
South Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride
DATE OF IMAGE
1879
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31033
KEYWORDS
Loch Etive
Sons of Uisnach
daggers
cists
Cleigh
cairns
chambered cairns
Loch Nell
Loch Feochan
creamtion burials
flints
RCAHMS
Dagger found at Cleigh, nr Oban, Argyll & Bute

This bronze dagger was found in a cist at Cleigh, south of Oban in Argyll and Bute. The cist was contained within one of the best preserved cairns in the valley between the southwest end of Loch Nell and the head of Loch Feochan. It was excavated in the 1870s by R A Smith and by the RCAHMS in 1967. The first excavation yielded this dagger and a cremation deposit. A second cremation burial was found in the 1967 excavation, together with some flints. The dagger and flints are now in the Museum of Scotland.
The illustration is from 'Loch Etive and The Sons of Uisnach', published by MacMillan & Co, 1879

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dagger found at Cleigh, nr Oban, Argyll & Bute

ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride

Loch Etive; Sons of Uisnach; daggers; cists; Cleigh; cairns; chambered cairns; Loch Nell; Loch Feochan; creamtion burials; flints; RCAHMS

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This bronze dagger was found in a cist at Cleigh, south of Oban in Argyll and Bute. The cist was contained within one of the best preserved cairns in the valley between the southwest end of Loch Nell and the head of Loch Feochan. It was excavated in the 1870s by R A Smith and by the RCAHMS in 1967. The first excavation yielded this dagger and a cremation deposit. A second cremation burial was found in the 1967 excavation, together with some flints. The dagger and flints are now in the Museum of Scotland. <br /> The illustration is from 'Loch Etive and The Sons of Uisnach', published by MacMillan & Co, 1879