Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Map of St Kilda 1698
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_227_P001
PLACENAME
St Kilda
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Harris
DATE OF IMAGE
1698
PERIOD
1690s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31043
KEYWORDS
birds
islands
gannets
First World War
MoD
army
sea birds
island life

zoomable
kildaed

St Kilda is made up of the four islands of Hirta (the main island), Dun, Soay and Boreray. They lie approximately 41 miles west of Benbecula in the Western Isles. The islands have been more or less continuously occupied for 2000 years with the main centre of population being located at Village Bay and Gleann Mor. The islands hold much archaeological evidence of Vikings and of early settlers from the Bronze Age.
The population of St Kilda was self-sufficient and paid rent, in produce, once a year to the factor, who brought a minister to perform weddings and baptisms.

During the 19th century, as more visitors came to St Kilda and people began to rely on imported goods, they became less self-sufficient. During World War I a naval detachment was stationed on Hirta, which resulted in regular deliveries of mail and food. When this service was withdrawn at the end of the war it led to a greater feeling of isolation among the islanders. In 1930 they requested that they be evacuated to the mainland.

The islands were bought by the 5th Marquis of Bute who left them to the National Trust for Scotland on his death in 1956. They are now managed by Scottish Natural Heritage. St Kilda is home to the world's largest gannet population, Britain's largest fulmar population and half of Britain's puffins. Also on the island is a Ministry of Defence Radar Station to monitor the Benbecula missile range. The island's human population now consists of military personnel, a warden, scientists and visitors.

This map is from 'A Late Voyage to St Kilda, the Remotest of all the Hebrides, or Western Isles of Scotland', by Martin Martin, one of the first tourists to publish an account of his travels in Scotland

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Map of St Kilda 1698

INVERNESS: Harris

1690s

birds; islands; gannets; First World War; MoD; army; sea birds; island life; ; zoomable; kildaed

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (maps)

St Kilda is made up of the four islands of Hirta (the main island), Dun, Soay and Boreray. They lie approximately 41 miles west of Benbecula in the Western Isles. The islands have been more or less continuously occupied for 2000 years with the main centre of population being located at Village Bay and Gleann Mor. The islands hold much archaeological evidence of Vikings and of early settlers from the Bronze Age. <br /> The population of St Kilda was self-sufficient and paid rent, in produce, once a year to the factor, who brought a minister to perform weddings and baptisms. <br /> <br /> During the 19th century, as more visitors came to St Kilda and people began to rely on imported goods, they became less self-sufficient. During World War I a naval detachment was stationed on Hirta, which resulted in regular deliveries of mail and food. When this service was withdrawn at the end of the war it led to a greater feeling of isolation among the islanders. In 1930 they requested that they be evacuated to the mainland.<br /> <br /> The islands were bought by the 5th Marquis of Bute who left them to the National Trust for Scotland on his death in 1956. They are now managed by Scottish Natural Heritage. St Kilda is home to the world's largest gannet population, Britain's largest fulmar population and half of Britain's puffins. Also on the island is a Ministry of Defence Radar Station to monitor the Benbecula missile range. The island's human population now consists of military personnel, a warden, scientists and visitors.<br /> <br /> This map is from 'A Late Voyage to St Kilda, the Remotest of all the Hebrides, or Western Isles of Scotland', by Martin Martin, one of the first tourists to publish an account of his travels in Scotland