Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fall of Foyers
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_250_77
PLACENAME
Foyers
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
1801
PERIOD
1800s
CREATOR
Mr Nattes / Merigot
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31051
KEYWORDS
water falls
Foyers
hydro-electric
rivers
River Foyers
power stations
energyed
Fall of Foyers

'The Fall of Foyers, the great wonder of this country'. Taken from 'Remarks on Local Scenery and Manners in Scotland' vol.2 by John Stoddart.

There are two waterfalls on the River Foyers before it reaches Loch Ness. The first is 30ft (9m) and the second is 90ft (27m). The falls were used to generate the first hydro-electric power in Britain in 1896 when they powered an aluminium smelter. In 1969 the Foyers power station was established as a pump storage scheme. This means that when the station has produced a surplus of energy, water can be pumped back up to Loch Mhor at the top, ready for the next time energy generating is required.

The Falls of Foyers have been tamed slightly since the coming of hydro-electricity and are less spectacular than they were when John Stoddart visited them, but they are still an awe-inspiring sight

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fall of Foyers

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1800s

water falls; Foyers; hydro-electric; rivers; River Foyers; power stations; energyed

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

'The Fall of Foyers, the great wonder of this country'. Taken from 'Remarks on Local Scenery and Manners in Scotland' vol.2 by John Stoddart. <br /> <br /> There are two waterfalls on the River Foyers before it reaches Loch Ness. The first is 30ft (9m) and the second is 90ft (27m). The falls were used to generate the first hydro-electric power in Britain in 1896 when they powered an aluminium smelter. In 1969 the Foyers power station was established as a pump storage scheme. This means that when the station has produced a surplus of energy, water can be pumped back up to Loch Mhor at the top, ready for the next time energy generating is required. <br /> <br /> The Falls of Foyers have been tamed slightly since the coming of hydro-electricity and are less spectacular than they were when John Stoddart visited them, but they are still an awe-inspiring sight