Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ballachulish
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_348_P118
PLACENAME
Ballachulish
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
DATE OF IMAGE
1791
PERIOD
1790s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31087
KEYWORDS
Ballachulish
ferries
slipways
slate quarries
bridges
Loch Leven
Appin Murder
James Stewart
Colin Campbell of Glenure
boats
monuments
Ballachulish

Ballachulish is in three parts. The larger settlement of Ballachulish is located on the south side of Loch Leven, west of Glen Coe. The villages of North Ballachulish and South Ballachulish are on each side of Loch Leven where it narrows quite considerably.

North and South Ballachulish were linked by a ferry as early as 1730 and there was a car ferry there from 1912 until 1975 when the road bridge was built.

The larger settlement of Ballachulish was originally called Laroch but the Ballachulish slate quarries eventually transferred their name onto the village.

Close to the slipway in South Ballachulish there is a monument marking the place where James Stewart was hanged for the 'Appin Murder'. This was the murder of Colin Campbell of Glenure, who had been appointed the unpopular factor of Lochiel's lands and the Appin Stewarts' lands when they were forfeited after the 1745 Jacobite Rising. Doubt over James Stewart's guilt remains to this day.

This illustration is taken from 'Prospects and Observations on a Tour in England and Scotland' by Thomas Newte

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ballachulish

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

1790s

Ballachulish; ferries; slipways; slate quarries; bridges; Loch Leven; Appin Murder; James Stewart; Colin Campbell of Glenure; boats; monuments

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Ballachulish is in three parts. The larger settlement of Ballachulish is located on the south side of Loch Leven, west of Glen Coe. The villages of North Ballachulish and South Ballachulish are on each side of Loch Leven where it narrows quite considerably.<br /> <br /> North and South Ballachulish were linked by a ferry as early as 1730 and there was a car ferry there from 1912 until 1975 when the road bridge was built.<br /> <br /> The larger settlement of Ballachulish was originally called Laroch but the Ballachulish slate quarries eventually transferred their name onto the village.<br /> <br /> Close to the slipway in South Ballachulish there is a monument marking the place where James Stewart was hanged for the 'Appin Murder'. This was the murder of Colin Campbell of Glenure, who had been appointed the unpopular factor of Lochiel's lands and the Appin Stewarts' lands when they were forfeited after the 1745 Jacobite Rising. Doubt over James Stewart's guilt remains to this day.<br /> <br /> This illustration is taken from 'Prospects and Observations on a Tour in England and Scotland' by Thomas Newte