Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cathedral and Bishop's House at Icolmkill
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_350_P255
PLACENAME
Iona
DISTRICT
Mull
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilfinchen and Kilvickeon
DATE OF IMAGE
1800
PERIOD
1800s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31119
KEYWORDS
Iona
Iona Abbey
cathedrals
abbeys
St Columba
Lords of the Isles
Iona Community
Historic Scotland
Cathedral and Bishop's House at Icolmkill

Icolmkill is the Irish for Iona - island of Columba of the Church.

Iona has been at the heart of Scottish religious life since St Columba landed there in 563 AD. Iona has also been the burial place of successive Scottish kings until Macbeth in 1057.

In 1156 Somerled evicted the Norse from western Scotland and became the first Lord of the Isles. His son, Reginald MacDonald, decided that Iona should become a centre of Christianity in Europe, building a Columban Monastery and an Augustinian Nunnery.

After the Reformation the Abbey fell into disuse and ruin until 1874 when the 8th Duke of Argyll commissioned Robert Rowand Anderson to preserve the ruins. In 1899 ownership was passed to the Iona Cathedral Trust and restoration work began.

Rev George Macleod founded the Iona Community in 1938 and they set themselves the task of restoring the buildings to use. Today, the Abbey remains a working religious community with the Iona Community and Historic Scotland having the responsibility for the Abbey buildings and precincts.

This illustration was taken from T. Garnett's 'Observations on a tour through the Highlands'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cathedral and Bishop's House at Icolmkill

ARGYLL: Kilfinchen and Kilvickeon

1800s

Iona; Iona Abbey; cathedrals; abbeys; St Columba; Lords of the Isles; Iona Community; Historic Scotland

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Icolmkill is the Irish for Iona - island of Columba of the Church.<br /> <br /> Iona has been at the heart of Scottish religious life since St Columba landed there in 563 AD. Iona has also been the burial place of successive Scottish kings until Macbeth in 1057. <br /> <br /> In 1156 Somerled evicted the Norse from western Scotland and became the first Lord of the Isles. His son, Reginald MacDonald, decided that Iona should become a centre of Christianity in Europe, building a Columban Monastery and an Augustinian Nunnery. <br /> <br /> After the Reformation the Abbey fell into disuse and ruin until 1874 when the 8th Duke of Argyll commissioned Robert Rowand Anderson to preserve the ruins. In 1899 ownership was passed to the Iona Cathedral Trust and restoration work began.<br /> <br /> Rev George Macleod founded the Iona Community in 1938 and they set themselves the task of restoring the buildings to use. Today, the Abbey remains a working religious community with the Iona Community and Historic Scotland having the responsibility for the Abbey buildings and precincts.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from T. Garnett's 'Observations on a tour through the Highlands'