Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunolly Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_350_P277
PLACENAME
Dunollie Castle
DISTRICT
Oban
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride
DATE OF IMAGE
1800
PERIOD
1800s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31121
KEYWORDS
castles
Dunollie Castle
clans
MacDougall
Lorne
Lords of Lorne
ruins
buildings
Dunolly Castle

The ruins of Dunollie Castle stand a mile north of Oban. A fortress stood on the site since 698AD but Dunollie Castle dates from around 1200-1400AD. The castle was a former seat of the MacDougalls, the Lords of Lorne, who once owned about a third of the land in Scotland.

The castle was forfeited to the Crown after the 1715 Jacobite Rising but was later returned to the MacDougalls.

The MacDougalls left the castle in 1746 for a country house nearby. The castle ruins, however, are still owned by MacDougall of MacDougall.

This illustration was taken from T. Garnett's 'Observations on a tour through the Highlands'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunolly Castle

ARGYLL: Kilmore and Kilbride

1800s

castles; Dunollie Castle; clans; MacDougall; Lorne; Lords of Lorne; ruins; buildings

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The ruins of Dunollie Castle stand a mile north of Oban. A fortress stood on the site since 698AD but Dunollie Castle dates from around 1200-1400AD. The castle was a former seat of the MacDougalls, the Lords of Lorne, who once owned about a third of the land in Scotland.<br /> <br /> The castle was forfeited to the Crown after the 1715 Jacobite Rising but was later returned to the MacDougalls.<br /> <br /> The MacDougalls left the castle in 1746 for a country house nearby. The castle ruins, however, are still owned by MacDougall of MacDougall.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from T. Garnett's 'Observations on a tour through the Highlands'