Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Castle Stalker
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_350_P280
PLACENAME
Castle Stalker
DISTRICT
South Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Ardchattan and Muckairn
DATE OF IMAGE
1800
PERIOD
1800s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31122
KEYWORDS
castles
Castle Stalker
lochs
buildings
islets
Campbells
Stewarts
clans
gambling
Castle Stalker

Castle Stalker was built around 1495 by Duncan Stewart of Appin who was granted the lands by James IV. It sits on a small islet at the mouth of Loch Liach, by Loch Linnhe.

The castle was lost in a gamble to the Campbells in 1620, but was regained in the 1680s. It was later forfeited to the Crown due to the Stewart's Jacobitism and used as a government army garrison. By 1830 the castle was abandoned and roofless.

Castle Stalker is now owned by the family of the late Lt. Col. Stewart Allward, who spent a great amount of time and money restoring the castle to its present state in the 1960s.

This illustration was taken from T. Garnett's 'Observations on a tour through the Highlands'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Castle Stalker

ARGYLL: Ardchattan and Muckairn

1800s

castles; Castle Stalker; lochs; buildings; islets; Campbells; Stewarts; clans; gambling

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Castle Stalker was built around 1495 by Duncan Stewart of Appin who was granted the lands by James IV. It sits on a small islet at the mouth of Loch Liach, by Loch Linnhe.<br /> <br /> The castle was lost in a gamble to the Campbells in 1620, but was regained in the 1680s. It was later forfeited to the Crown due to the Stewart's Jacobitism and used as a government army garrison. By 1830 the castle was abandoned and roofless.<br /> <br /> Castle Stalker is now owned by the family of the late Lt. Col. Stewart Allward, who spent a great amount of time and money restoring the castle to its present state in the 1960s.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from T. Garnett's 'Observations on a tour through the Highlands'