Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Invergarry Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_350_P317
PLACENAME
Invergarry Castle
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
DATE OF IMAGE
1800
PERIOD
1800s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31124
KEYWORDS
castles
Invergarry Castle
Glengarry Castle
Jacobites
Loch Oich
buildings
hotels
Invergarry Castle

Invergarry Castle stands about half a mile east of Invergarry on the shores of Loch Oich. It was built in the early 17th century as a stronghold of the MacDonnell clan.

The castle was burned by General Monck in 1654 but was rebuilt and fortified. It was lost and regained by the family after the 1715 Jacobite Rising and was visited by Bonnie Prince Charlie during the 1745 Rising.

Invergarry Castle was destroyed by the Duke of Cumberland and his men in 1746. It was never rebuilt but the Glengarry chief did build a house on Loch Oich side which was later altered by the Marquis of Huntly when he bought the Glengarry estate in 1838. Edward Ellice, the younger, built a mansion house between 1866-69 on or near the site of the old chief's house. Built in the Scots Jacobean style this new manor house, known as Invergarry House, is now the Glengarry Castle Hotel.

This illustration was taken from T. Garnett's 'Observations on a tour through the Highlands'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Invergarry Castle

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

1800s

castles; Invergarry Castle; Glengarry Castle; Jacobites; Loch Oich; buildings; hotels

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Invergarry Castle stands about half a mile east of Invergarry on the shores of Loch Oich. It was built in the early 17th century as a stronghold of the MacDonnell clan.<br /> <br /> The castle was burned by General Monck in 1654 but was rebuilt and fortified. It was lost and regained by the family after the 1715 Jacobite Rising and was visited by Bonnie Prince Charlie during the 1745 Rising.<br /> <br /> Invergarry Castle was destroyed by the Duke of Cumberland and his men in 1746. It was never rebuilt but the Glengarry chief did build a house on Loch Oich side which was later altered by the Marquis of Huntly when he bought the Glengarry estate in 1838. Edward Ellice, the younger, built a mansion house between 1866-69 on or near the site of the old chief's house. Built in the Scots Jacobean style this new manor house, known as Invergarry House, is now the Glengarry Castle Hotel.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from T. Garnett's 'Observations on a tour through the Highlands'