Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Lower Fall at Foyers
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_350_P324
PLACENAME
Falls of Foyers
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff
DATE OF IMAGE
1800
PERIOD
1800s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31126
KEYWORDS
water falls
Foyers
hydro-electric
rivers
River Foyers
power stations
Robert Burns
poems
poetry
Lower Fall at Foyers

There are two waterfalls on the River Foyers before it reaches Loch Ness. The first is 30ft (9m) and the second is 90ft (27m).

The falls were used to generate the first hydro-electric power in Britain in 1896 when they powered an aluminium smelter. In 1969 the Foyers power station was established as a pump storage scheme. This means that when the station has produced a surplus of energy, water can be pumped back up to Loch Mhor at the top, ready for the next time energy generating is required.

The Falls of Foyers have been tamed slightly since the coming of hydro-electricity and are less spectacular than they were when Robert Burns visited and wrote a poem about the falls. ('Line on the Fall of Fyres, near Loch Ness. Written with a pencil on the spot.') Despite this they are still an awe-inspiring sight.

This illustration was taken from T. Garnett's 'Observations on a tour through the Highlands'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Lower Fall at Foyers

INVERNESS: Boleskine and Abertarff

1800s

water falls; Foyers; hydro-electric; rivers; River Foyers; power stations; Robert Burns; poems; poetry

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

There are two waterfalls on the River Foyers before it reaches Loch Ness. The first is 30ft (9m) and the second is 90ft (27m).<br /> <br /> The falls were used to generate the first hydro-electric power in Britain in 1896 when they powered an aluminium smelter. In 1969 the Foyers power station was established as a pump storage scheme. This means that when the station has produced a surplus of energy, water can be pumped back up to Loch Mhor at the top, ready for the next time energy generating is required.<br /> <br /> The Falls of Foyers have been tamed slightly since the coming of hydro-electricity and are less spectacular than they were when Robert Burns visited and wrote a poem about the falls. ('Line on the Fall of Fyres, near Loch Ness. Written with a pencil on the spot.') Despite this they are still an awe-inspiring sight.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from T. Garnett's 'Observations on a tour through the Highlands'