Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Iona Cathedral
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_351A_2_P290
PLACENAME
Iona
DISTRICT
Mull
DATE OF IMAGE
1776
PERIOD
1760s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31141
KEYWORDS
cathedrals
abbeys
monasteries
Iona Cathedral

This illustration is taken from 'A Tour in Scotland' by Thomas Pennant. It shows Iona Cathedral, shaped in the form of a cross.

Founded in the 6th century by the missionary St Columba, Iona Cathedral is the burial place of early Scottish kings. Nothing now remains of the original building, the timber having been replaced by stone as early as 1200, and various extensions added from then until the middle of the 16th century. The abbey was left derelict after coming under attack during the Reformation in 1560 and remained so until 1899, when the Duke of Argyll handed the building over to the Iona Cathedral Trust.

Although ownership was handed over to the Trust it was not accompanied by funding, so an appeal was made in 1901 to raise money for restoration. Work began the following year with re-roofing and re-glazing at a cost of £2750, and continued intermittently until restoration was finally completed in 1965

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Iona Cathedral

1760s

cathedrals; abbeys; monasteries

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

This illustration is taken from 'A Tour in Scotland' by Thomas Pennant. It shows Iona Cathedral, shaped in the form of a cross.<br /> <br /> Founded in the 6th century by the missionary St Columba, Iona Cathedral is the burial place of early Scottish kings. Nothing now remains of the original building, the timber having been replaced by stone as early as 1200, and various extensions added from then until the middle of the 16th century. The abbey was left derelict after coming under attack during the Reformation in 1560 and remained so until 1899, when the Duke of Argyll handed the building over to the Iona Cathedral Trust.<br /> <br /> Although ownership was handed over to the Trust it was not accompanied by funding, so an appeal was made in 1901 to raise money for restoration. Work began the following year with re-roofing and re-glazing at a cost of £2750, and continued intermittently until restoration was finally completed in 1965