Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kilchurn Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_351_P237
PLACENAME
Kilchurn Castle
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Glenorchy and Inishail
DATE OF IMAGE
1776
PERIOD
1760s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31174
KEYWORDS
castles
Loch Awe
lochs
Campbell of Glenorchy
clans
buildings
Earl of Breadalbane
Kilchurn
Historic Scotland
Kilchurn Castle

Kilchurn Castle stands on a small projecting point in Loch Awe. It was originally built by Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy around 1450. The castle was extended in the 17th century and used as a garrison. In 1681 Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy became the 1st Earl of Breadalbane.

During the 1715 and the 1745 Jacobite Risings the Kilchurn Castle was used as a government garrison and the family tried, unsuccessfully, to sell it to the government.

The family left Kilchurn in 1740 for Taymouth castle. Kilchurn was badly damaged by lightning in 1760 and completely abandoned.

The castle has been in the care of Historic Scotland since the 1950s.

This illustration was taken from 'A Tour in Scotland' by Thomas Pennant

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kilchurn Castle

ARGYLL: Glenorchy and Inishail

1760s

castles; Loch Awe; lochs; Campbell of Glenorchy; clans; buildings; Earl of Breadalbane; Kilchurn; Historic Scotland

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

Kilchurn Castle stands on a small projecting point in Loch Awe. It was originally built by Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy around 1450. The castle was extended in the 17th century and used as a garrison. In 1681 Sir John Campbell of Glenorchy became the 1st Earl of Breadalbane.<br /> <br /> During the 1715 and the 1745 Jacobite Risings the Kilchurn Castle was used as a government garrison and the family tried, unsuccessfully, to sell it to the government. <br /> <br /> The family left Kilchurn in 1740 for Taymouth castle. Kilchurn was badly damaged by lightning in 1760 and completely abandoned. <br /> <br /> The castle has been in the care of Historic Scotland since the 1950s.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'A Tour in Scotland' by Thomas Pennant