Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inveraray Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_351_P238
PLACENAME
Inveraray Castle
DISTRICT
Inveraray
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Inveraray
DATE OF IMAGE
1776
PERIOD
1760s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31175
KEYWORDS
castles
Loch Fyne
Clan Campbell
Duke of Argyll
clans
fires
towns
Inveraray Castle

In its present location, Inveraray Castle sits just northeast of the town of Inveraray, overlooking Loch Shira and Loch Fyne. The original castle was built in a different location in the 15th century by Colin Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll.

The 3rd Duke of Argyll had the old town demolished and moved so that he could have his castle built where he wanted it, between 1744 and 1758.

Despite fires in 1877 and 1975 Inveraray Castle has remained the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, the chiefs of the Campbells of Argyll. It was also the first house in Scotland to have electricity installed in around 1890.

This illustration was taken from 'A Tour in Scotland' by Thomas Pennant

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inveraray Castle

ARGYLL: Inveraray

1760s

castles; Loch Fyne; Clan Campbell; Duke of Argyll; clans; fires; towns

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

In its present location, Inveraray Castle sits just northeast of the town of Inveraray, overlooking Loch Shira and Loch Fyne. The original castle was built in a different location in the 15th century by Colin Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll.<br /> <br /> The 3rd Duke of Argyll had the old town demolished and moved so that he could have his castle built where he wanted it, between 1744 and 1758.<br /> <br /> Despite fires in 1877 and 1975 Inveraray Castle has remained the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, the chiefs of the Campbells of Argyll. It was also the first house in Scotland to have electricity installed in around 1890.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'A Tour in Scotland' by Thomas Pennant