Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old Inveraray Castle
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_351_P239
PLACENAME
Inveraray Castle
DISTRICT
Inveraray
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Inveraray
DATE OF IMAGE
1776
PERIOD
1760s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
31176
KEYWORDS
castles
Loch Fyne
Clan Campbell
Duke of Argyll
clans
towns
Old Inveraray Castle

The original Inveraray Castle was built, in a different location to that of the present castle, in the 15th century by Colin Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll. This castle was demolished during extensive rebuilding in the area between 1744 and 1758 when the 3rd Duke of Argyll relocated the town of Inveraray so he could build his new castle in its place.

Inveraray Castle has remained the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, the chiefs of the Campbells of Argyll.

This illustration was taken from 'A Tour in Scotland' by Thomas Pennant

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old Inveraray Castle

ARGYLL: Inveraray

1760s

castles; Loch Fyne; Clan Campbell; Duke of Argyll; clans; towns

Highland Libraries

Fraser Mackintosh Collection (illustrations)

The original Inveraray Castle was built, in a different location to that of the present castle, in the 15th century by Colin Campbell, 1st Duke of Argyll. This castle was demolished during extensive rebuilding in the area between 1744 and 1758 when the 3rd Duke of Argyll relocated the town of Inveraray so he could build his new castle in its place.<br /> <br /> Inveraray Castle has remained the seat of the Dukes of Argyll, the chiefs of the Campbells of Argyll.<br /> <br /> This illustration was taken from 'A Tour in Scotland' by Thomas Pennant